Eleonore Trefftz started her scientific career in 1948 - the year in which the Max Planck Society was founded - as a research assistant at the Max Planck Institute for Physics and Astrophysics. In 1971 she was appointed Scientific Member of the institute and focused her work on answering theoretical questions of atomic and molecular physics as well as spectroscopy. In addition, Eleonore Trefftz pioneered the development of mathematical methods and programming techniques, making an important contribution to the introduction of electronic data processing at the institute. Eleonore Trefftz always devoted herself to the Institute as a whole and was available for the Institute and her colleagues. It is to her credit, that several members of her working group have been appointed to teaching positions in Germany and abroad.
With deep regrets, the Max Planck Society takes its leave of Eleonore Trefftz and will always hold the memory of her in honour.
President of the Max Planck Society for the promotion of sciences e. V.