From any direction you come by car, you reach our institute best by the motorway Munich-Nürnberg (A 9)
- leave at exit "Garching Nord",
- follow signs "Forschungsinstitute"
- after 200 m you'll cross the state route B11 to Garching. Drive straight on; there will be white road signs for Forschungsinstitute.
- After another 500 m, the road turns left sharply, but you leave it by driving (slowly!) straight on.
- There are two parking lots and the left one is always open for visitors. The first building you can see is ESO and opposite of ESO you'll find our MPA building.
Current and anticipated traffic situation around Munich
Trains to Munich usually stop at Munich central station (Hauptbahnhof) or Ostbahnhof.
From there you can get to MPA via
- take any S-Bahn to MARIENPLATZ (city center)
- change to subway "U6" direction Garching-Forschungszentrum
- Get off at the end stop and exit the subway, direction "MPA, MPE, MPQ, ESO"
- the Karl-Schwarzschild-Straße meets the Boltzmannstraße at its south-east end (MPA building is opposite of ESO)
(It takes approx. 25 minutes from Marienplatz to Garching Forschungszentrum)
MVV - travel information (Münchner Verkehrs- und Tarifverbund (MVV)).
Find information about tickets, routes, timetables, maps, etc.
Munich airport is located about 30 km north of Munich and about 15 km north of the Garching research area. From there you can get to MPA via:
cabs are located just outside the terminals (ground level); costs are about 30-35 €; duration depends on traffic and ranges from 15 to 30 minutes.
- take S-Bahn S8 direction Nannhofen (Munich)
(runs every 20 minutes)
- leave at third stop: "Ismaning"
- take Bus no. 230 to Garching, Technische Universität
(runs every 20-40 minutes most of the day (Mo.-Fr.)
- get off at the stop "Boltzmannstrasse" go straightforward and you'll see ESO (opposite of ESO is our MPA building)
On weekends / holidays / evening stay in the S-Bahn until downtown Marienplatz and then use the U-Bahn U6 (see description above).